Apr 23, 2012

Almond and pistachio biscotti

When I get tired from uni or am feeling a little stressed, there's only one thing that can really cheer me up, and that is baking. And yes. Baking isn't naturally the first thing anyone would choose to do (i.e. especially the cleaning up afterwards), but it sure helps me relax. And the fact that my sister was craving some almond and pistachio biscotti, how could I refuse her? I mean, just look at them!

You tell me you don't want a bite out of that. I dare you. (:

Making the biscotti was pretty fun. But the only problem I had with this recipe was that it kept on crumbling while I was slicing the biscotti into 1-inch-thick pieces before the final baking. As I am a firm believer of not wasting anything, I have a solution to our little crumb problems which I shall tell you in a bit. So never fear.

I adapted the recipe from abirdinthekitchen.

Here's what you need to do!

  • Preheat the oven to 190ºC
  • 1 cup blanched almonds + 1 cup pistachios - just toast them slightly in a frying pan and once they're done and slightly cooled, chop them coarsely
  • In a bowl, prepare 2 cups cake flour + 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour (or if you are using all-purpose flour, add 1 tsp of baking powder) and add in 1/2 tsp of salt. Just set aside.
  • In a mixing bowl, cream the 240 g unsalted butter and 1 cup of sugar together until it is light and fluffy. Then add 3 eggs, 1 tsp of vanilla essence/extract and the scrapings of 1 vanilla bean (optional).
  • Pour ALL the flour into the cream mixture and fold it in. Once it is all combined, fold in the nuts.
  • Line a baking tray with baking sheet or if you have, a baking mat/silpat. Divide the batter into 2 portions and form a log that is about 1-inch thick and 12-inches long. Honestly, it really depends on how you want your biscotti to look like.
  • After you've formed both logs, bake it in the oven for about 30 minutes or until the base is golden brown. At this point, take it out of the oven, let it cool (about 15 minutes). Slice it to the thickness that you want.
  • Lay it out on the same tray again and bake it for about 5 minutes. Take it out, flip over the biscotti pieces and bake it on the other side for another 5 minutes.
Voila! You are done! Remember to let it cool before you start eating! I know the temptation is there but do try and resist.

Now, back to the biscotti-crumbs. Why waste something that tastes oh-so-good? There is a simple solution to your problem. And I mean, REALLy simple. All you need to do is grab a bowl of vanilla ice-cream, mix in the biscotti-crumbs, and you have dessert part 2!



No comments:

Post a Comment