Jun 22, 2012

Chin Chin

It was one of those really long, overdue, old-fashion, girl's night out, so we decided to have dinner at Chin Chin. We knew that it was going to be extremely crowded, despite the fact that it was a weeknight, (could you expect any less?), so we aimed to reach the restaurant by 5.30. ish. Which we did!
But alas, it did not matter. Because there were already heaps of people queuing up (if you do not like to wait, go at around 3 or 4 and you'll be guaranteed a seat on entry). By the time we reached the waitress, it was packed and we were on the waiting list. Thankfully neither one of us were really hungry. So my friend put her name and number down for a table of 3 and was told to expect a text message when our table was ready.

So we decided to go sit at a cafe for drinks while awaiting that very important message. In the end, we went to Lot 7, which was just a few blocks down from Chin Chin. After almost 2 hours, we finally received a text saying our table was ready! I guess once you have good company, a 2-hour-wait does not feel very long.
We got into Chin Chin, sat down and started scanning through the menu. The more famous/common dishes were still on the list, like the kingfish sashimi or caramelized pork belly. Then there were those other dishes that looked unknown to me.

In the end, we ordered 5 dishes between the 3 of us.

Our first dish was the kingfish sashimi, served with a lime and coconut dressing. I have read a lot of good reviews about this dish and it was my first time trying the dish. I was impressed. But for those of you who do not really like sour-y things, I suggest you either don't order this dish, or pick a piece of fish that was not fully immersed in the dressing. Because it really packs a punch.
The next dish was a morning glory veg, we still need our greens. Something you could probably cook for yourself at home. 
We then had a handmade crab and pork patty. Not bad. But not memorable.
Our fourth dish, was fried quail with siracha sauce on the side. This was definitely one of my favourites of the night. If only the portions were bigger!
Lastly, we had the caramel pork belly. Honestly, I still do prefer Red Spice Road's caramelized pork belly, but my cravings were definitely satisfied. 
Overall, it was a good meal, great service and a perfect G.N.O.. Definitely a place to try at least once. (:

125 Flinders Lane
Melbourne, VIC 3000
(03) 8663 2000

Chin Chin on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chilli, this review has resulted in me calling up my girlies and making a date at Sea Bay, very yum Asian food & very reasonable too (Sydney, you have to try it if you visit!)…there goes the diet! I'm visiting Melbourne this weekend for InDesign tho so definitely will pay a visit. I was wondering if I could maybe get some help? I’m working on a dating app atm, and a part of the app will have bloggers recommending 5-10 places in their city to check out for a first date, I was wondering if you might recommend maybe a few places you love? I will put links up to your blog on the app and so far we have 2,000 signed up to download the app (I'm pretty surprised but so excited!) you can pop on here – https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dG93enNmdHRPOTVuUWVqOFJMUElibnc6MQ or email me on lauren@heylets.com xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lauren!

      Thanks for the invite and I am glad this post gave some insight to where you and your friend's should visit when in Melbourne!

      And yeah, would love to particpate in your upcoming app.

      All the best!

      Delete