This has got to be one of my favourite cupcake recipes. It is a really quick and simple recipe and the texture of the cupcake is very different from most cupcakes. This is a must-try recipe and I promise you, you wouldn't regret it.
My sister first made these beauties about a year ago after she started having cravings for a lemon dessert. And now every time if either one of us are craving for something lemony rather than chocolatey, this is what we will be baking. So that is why, we always stock up our fruit bowl with lemons!
There are 3 different components to these cupcakes.
Lemon Curd - Everything will be in 1 bowl.
1/3 cups sugar
Zest of 2 lemons
1/4 cup lemon juice
30 g butter - cubed
- We're going to be using a double boiler technique, so start heating up your saucepan of water.
- Combine sugar and eggs and whisk until smooth.
- Add the zest and juice and whisk.
- Place bowl over saucepan.
- Add a cube of butter each time and constantly whisking.
- After everything has been mixed in, remove from bowl from the heat and let the mixture cool.
Cupcakes - makes about 12 normal cupcakes and 12 small ones
1 cup pure cream
180 g sugar
1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
1 lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 180˚C.
- Combine cream, sugar and eggs. Whisk until smooth.
- Add flour and lemon zest. Whisk.
- Mixture will come out thick and smooth.
- Divide batter.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
|Mummy and baby cupcakes|
Usually we would have done a meringue topping but since I felt like having cream cheese I tried out a cream cheese frosting which did not really set. Partly because it was starting to become too sweet so I stopped adding sugar and it did not set nicely. So I wouldn't be posting the recipe.
- Core the cupcakes.
- Put in a bit of lemon curd.
- Pipe your meringue or frosting on top of the cupcakes. (I was being lazy so I just used a spoon.)