Jun 20, 2012

Pear and Almond Upside-Down Cake

Now that I am on a month break from uni, it is time to try out a new recipe. Then again, when do I ever need an excuse to bake? My latest experiment was a Pear and Almond Upside-Down Cake. I think my new obsession is pear. I have made a brownie with pear slices and also a pear and frangipane tart, which I have yet to post a recipe up. And now? It's a pear and almond upside-down cake!


I was a little worried about how the cake will look once it was done, because my caramel crystallized and hardened so quickly before I could place my pear slices in. Thankfully, it came out all right! It was fun doing this because I had both of my girlfriends over to keep me company. Like one of them said, "Rachel bakes and we eat!" Unfortunately my cake didn't cook fast enough so they couldn't try it out. 

The night before, after hours of research, I finally found a recipe by Cook Almost Anything. And yes, their cake looks heaps better! Also have a good look at the website because they have heaps of interesting stuff! Again, this another simple recipe. Yes. I like my recipes to be simple and quick! So that I can eat faster. ( : I mean, who doesn't?

Recipe

Topping:
100 g brown sugar
50 g butter
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 pears (really depends on how much you want)

  • Line an 8-inch springform tin, both bottom and sides.
  • Peel the pears and slice them however thick or thin.
  • Melt sugar and butter in a saucepan.  
  • Do NOT stir with a spoon! That's why my caramel crystallized. But again, the caramel will melt when it is cooking in the oven so..not a big deal.
  • Pour caramel into tin and then line the pears on the caramel.



Cake:
150 g butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 eggs
1/2 cup almond meal
2 cups self-raising flour
3/4 cup milk

  • Preheat oven to 180˚C.
  • Use and electric mixer to cream the butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy.
  • Add the vanilla essence. Add one egg at the time. Continue to whisk.
  • Stop the electric mixer. Stir in the milk.
  • Fold in the almond meal followed by the flour.
  • Pour the batter into the tin.
  • Bake for 50 minutes.
  • Let the cake cool before you turn it out onto a plate.
 

And voila! There is your Pear and Almond Upside-Down Cake!

Now, cut a nice slice for yourself and have a nice cup of coffee or tea with it and you'll be one happy camper! I sure was. ( :

 

No comments:

Post a Comment