Jul 27, 2012

Day 2 in Sydney

This post is long overdue and it has been awhile since I blogged about my little food adventure in Sydney.

Second day in Sydney.

I think I was just excited at the idea of exploring. I woke up really really early. Same time that my sister woke up to get to work. Shocker. I know. That was probably 7-ish to 8?

For breakfast, I decided to head down to Bills seeing that there were a lot of good reviews for this place. And can I say, for someone who was to walk every-single-place, I survived when I got here because the hill/slope I had to climb was insane.

Definitely a good workout before breakfast!

I went to the chain at Liverpool St because after much google mapping, it was supposed to be the one closest to where I was staying. However, it really really did not seem that close. I definitely underestimated how big Sydney was.

So after walking for half an hour plus and up treacherous slopes, I finally arrived at my destination.
Finding this place was a tiny bit difficult because this sign above was hidden at the corner. The only reason why it looks big is because I was up close when I took the picture!

I loved the atmosphere in this cafe. The decorations were modern-looking but the cafe had a very welcoming and homey vibe. It was as if you stepped into a friend's house. A very very cozy house. Food however, wasn't as great. Coffee too. But then again, I have been living in Melbourne for four years already, so I am just a little bit biased towards Melbourne's coffee. Just a bit. (;

Service was great. Everyone working there was very friendly and welcoming.


I ordered the famous sweet corn fritters with bacon. Felt the corn fritters were a bit hard and dry. And not as sweet compared to Mister Close's version. Yeah. Nothing has topped Mister Close's Corn Fritters. Mmmmmmm. (:

433 Liverpool Street
Darlinghurst
NSW 2010
(02) 9360 9631

Bills on Urbanspoon

After having a good breakfast and giving my feet a good, long, well-deserved rest, I set out on my second journey. This time, to find Bourke Street Bakery!

First time I heard about this wonderful magical bakery (I exaggerate, I know, but I am in love with this place) was when my sister bought the cookbook. And then a couple of friend's headed down to Sydney, bought some tarts back to Melbourne, and that is when it hit me. I. Am. In. Love. (:

BUT.

It was a pain finding this place. 2nd day in Sydney and I was lost. Probably for about an hour? Maybe more. I was apparently very close to Kings Cross and got a massive scold from my sister because I was not allowed to be within a 10 km radius of that suburb. Oops. (;

But once I found this place, I could hear the angels singing. 
ahhh my happy place (:

I was just drooling at the sight of these babies while queuing up.

As you can imagine, I was absolutely spoilt for choice. I did not know where to start. I did not know what to order. And I did not want to buy too many because I was headed for the next bakery on my list.
Sigh. I miss you Bourke Street Bakery.

So in the end, I settled for their famous lemon curd tart and brulee tart. Oh. My. God. The best tarts. I was a happy camper. 

Great. I have tarts in my hand. Now, time to find my way back. Thank God the bus wasn't suppose to arrive until 45 minutes later because I needed every single minute to figure out which direction I had to go to get back to my hotel. I ended up walking for about 30 minutes back and forth to the stop where I initially stopped at and finally reached the right bus stop. Phew. What a day.

After a half an hour bus ride, I reached my hotel. Half an hour. And it took me an hour plus to look for the bakery! Sheessshh! But, I got my tarts. Heehee. 

Once I was back in the hotel, the usual me started taking heaps of photos of the tarts.
The brulee tart. (:
The lemon curd tart.
There's just something about their lemon curd. It's so silky. So smooth. So tangy. Just oh-so-good.

633 Bourke Street
Surry Hills
NSW 2010
(02) 9699 1011

Bourke Street Bakery on Urbanspoon

Destination 3: Becasse Bakery
The first thing I have ever tried from this place was their Brioche when a friend brought it back to Melbourne. Best brioche I ever had. It was so fluffy. Not too sweet. Just so good.

So I thought since the bakery was just less than 5 minutes from the hotel, I could pop by anytime to get some. But I was dead wrong. Turns out these delicious babies aren't made all the time. Went to the store and the woman said come back next week. 

In my mind, I was pretty much sad. But I had a huge smile on my face because she was very nice. I was just thinking "But I am leaving tomorrow! You cannot do this to me!!"

Oh well. I did however try their salted peanuts with caramel and banana tart. Oh. Gee. Wiz. That was some goooooooood tart.

While eating my tart, I watched them clean the kitchen and make eclairs! 

And of course, what kind of sister would I be if I didn't buy one for my poor sister who has to slave away at work. She is the reason why I managed to taste this little peace of heaven anyway. (:

CBD
Market Street
Sydney
NSW 2000
(02) 9283 3440

Bécasse Bakery on Urbanspoon

So after that, I went back and nap. The walking really just knocked the wind out of me. I was exhausted. So. I slept. And before I knew it. It was time for dinner!

This brings me to my final destination of the day, which was Charlie & Co. Burgers who is also owned by Justin North (same as Becasse).

Definitely awesome burgers. Think Grill'd but wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better! And four of us shared the truffle fries with parmesan cheese! 

This is definitely a place to go if you are craving burgers!
Definitely an incredible day 2 filled with a whole bunch of yumminess. (: I was a happy camper.

Charlie & Co Burgers
CBD
86-100 Market Street
Westfield Sydney
Sydney
NSW 2000
(02) 8072 7777

Charlie & Co Burgers on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment