Nov 27, 2012

Mango Cheesecake

I'm backkkk! It has been awhile, but my schedule has been pretty hectic lately due to finals so I couldn't really update this blog. But never mind that. I am back and I have a brand new recipe for you!

Just last night, we celebrated my sister's 23rd birthday and she requested for a birthday cake from her little sister. And being the most amazing little sister that I am, who is always incredibly nice to her, I agreed. If you're reading this C, I am just kidding and I do love you from the bottom of my heart. ;)

This year round, she requested for another cheesecake. Not just a plain-old-baked-cheesecake, but a mango cheesecake. Good thing it is summer here in Melbourne where there is ample supply of mangoes!
I baked this cheesecake the night before as I needed the cake to cool down before I assembled the top with slices of mango and poured jelly over it. Sounds complicated, but truth be told, this is an incredibly easy recipe. And I promise you, really really really really really good. 

So, here's what you need to do!

Mango Cheesecake

Crust
180 g "Nice" biscuits (alternatively, graham crackers)
120 g butter, melted

Cheesecake
500 g Philadelphia cream cheese
100 g sugar
100 g sour cream
4 eggs
1 tsp of vanilla essence

Mango puree
1 mango (depending on the size of the mango)

Topping
Mango slices
Mango jelly powder
  1. Preheat the oven to 140ºC and boil a pot of water.
  2. Line a springform tin with baking paper on all sides.
  3. In a food processor, pulse the biscuits until fine, then add the melted butter slowly while the food processor is on a medium speed. Pour out the contents into the springform tin and flatten the crumbs to form a compact base. Place the springform tin in the fridge while making the cheese filling.
  4. In a clean food processor, combine the cream cheese, sugar, sour cream and vanilla essence. Pulse it until it has just mixed. Then add in 1 egg and pulse it. Do this until all 4 eggs have been added.
  5. In a separate bowl, slice the mango and mash the mango using a fork. You can leave a few chunks for texture.
  6. Fold the pureed mango into the cream cheese filling and pour into the springform tin.
  7. Place the springform tin in the middle level of the oven, and a tray of boiling water below.
  8. Bake for about 2 hours or until it's slightly golden on top and it is still wobbly.
  9. After the cake has cooled, slice the mango and assemble it inside the tin. Following the instructions on your jelly powder box, make the jelly liquid. Then pour a bit of mango jelly over the cake. Let it sit in the fridge overnight or for a few hours.
  10. Tip: If you have leftover mango slices and jelly mixture, cut the slices into chunks and pour it into the jelly. You'll have dessert #2. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment