adapted from Shockingly Delicious
makes about 16 cupcakes
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 medium-sized very ripe bananas, mashed
200 ml sour cream
2 tsps vanilla essence
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- Preheat oven to 180˚C. Line a muffin tray with cupcake liners.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together brown sugar and vegetable oil. Next, whisk in eggs.
- Add in mashed bananas, sour cream, vanilla essence and salt. Mix until just combined.
- Fold in the self-raising flour until just combined.
- Divide the batter equally among the cupcake liners, filling each liner until 2/3 full.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool completely.
Coffee and Baileys Whipped Cream
Disclaimer: This is going to vary with each individual, depending on how much coffee or Baileys you would want to incorporate into the cream.
Brewed coffee, cooled
300 ml whipping cream
- Whip the cream until stiff peaks are formed. Gently fold in coffee and Baileys into the cream. Do not over-mix.
- Place in the fridge if you are not going to assemble the cupcakes immediately.
- Line a tray with baking paper.
- Place sugar and water into a saucepan, making sure there is just enough water covering the sugar.
- Place the pan over a medium-heat and let the sugar caramelize.
- Once the sugar becomes amber gold, pour a thin layer of the caramel onto the baking paper. Let it cool and harden.
- Break the caramel into chunks or place it into a food processor to grind it up into smaller pieces.
- Sprinkle a fair amount on top of the cream.