Jul 2, 2013

Monsieur Truffe aka East Elevation

So... It has been awhile. I blame my assignments. :)
Recently, my friend held her 24th birthday at Monsieur Truffe, which I later found out was actually called East Elevation. Confusing no? Monsieur Truffe is actually this smaller chain at Smith Street that focuses more on selling their chocolates while East Elevation is where it all starts, where they create all their lovely chocolates and even do breakfast and lunch. However, when you get to East Elevation, you will be looking for the sign Monsieur Truffe and not East Elevation. I know what you are thinking. Stick to one name damnit! But in any case, just remember that these two cafes are somewhat the same but make sure you pick the correct street!

Seeing how there were about 15-18 of us, my friend called up to book a table and at the same time, settle on a menu. I have heard and read a lot of good reviews about this place so my expectations were pretty high and I definitely wasn't disappointed.
We had 2 options for each course, 3 for the main as there was a vegan option. I did manage to try everything (except the vegan option) as I was sitting next to one of my friend, so we just decided to share everything.


For the starters, we had coconut tapioca with rhubarb, strawberries and pistachio and cauliflower soup. At first I thought the tapioca dish was going to be cold, but turned out to be warm. Also, I never had rhubarb so I was a little skeptical. But overall, it wasn't too bad. Our other starter was the cauliflower soup and this was amazing. If I had the chance to go back and change my order, I would definitely pick this. It was well-seasoned and creamy but not overly rich.


For the main, we had smoked salmon crepe and shepherd's pie. Between the 2, I would definitely ask for the pie again. The lamb was well-cooked and the potato mash on top was cooked beautifully. There was a nice slight crust to it but still soft and smooth on the inside.


Now, the best for last, the dessert. We had a choice between chocolate fondant and bread and butter pudding. Both were delicious! Not too sweet and not too rich. But I felt they were a bit heavy-handed with the cinnamon in the bread and butter pudding. Luckily the ice-cream and extra chocolate sauce was able to mask it.
Overall, it is safe to say that we had a very pleasant brunch experience. Food was good. Coffee was hot and nutty. Welcoming and friendly service. I will definitely go back soon!
351 Lygon Street
Brunswick East
3057 VIC
(03) 9380 4915
East Elevation on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment